Individual retreatants are most welcome. The chaplain, the Revd Simon Small, is available by prior arrangement for private conversations to support the experience.
Ideas for a Successful Retreat
Abbey House offer a range of individually guided retreat plans to help you - topics include Nature, Spirituality, Time to Think and Pray and The Benedictine Way.
The library has a good collection of books on Spirituality, prayer, icons, painting, embroidery, Martin Israel, Glastonbury, calligraphy and more. We also have a selection of arts and craft materials available.
There are some board games and jigsaws too.
Additional Ideas to Enhance Your Retreat
We can help you to book the following:
- Guided tour on foot of Glastonbury's Sacred sites
- Therapies (book and pay in advance) - massage, cranio sacral, reflexology and acupuncture
- Visits to local village churches
- Visit to the Bird Reserve at Westhay - acknowledged for successfully breeding Bitterns and in winter for amazing aerial displays by starlings coming to roost.
Prayer Services, Communion & Spiritual Direction
- There are several churches in Glastonbury - St John's, St Benedict's, St Patrick's and St Margaret's are all Anglican. Also there are a United Reformed Church, Methodist church, St Mary's Roman Catholic Church and the Community church.
- Morning Prayer is said and communion celebrated somewhere within walking distance on most days of the week.
- There is a Quaker Meeting in Street - a 20 minute walk or a short bus ride.
- Wells Cathedral is 6 miles away served by a regular bus from just outside the retreat house.
- Spiritual direction can be arranged - please ask when making your booking.
What to Bring?
Abbey House is situated in the centre of town but within minutes of good country walks and the Tor.
- Walking gear
- Dressing gown
- Camera (we get some spectacular sunsets over the Abbey ruins!)